Temporary Shelter

for a huang lian po to be. or already.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Mama's the Chef!

Mama = Me

Chef = Great Cook

My culinary judge = almost 6 mth old HH


I can see HH's learning to enjoy her food. I figured it has to be she has come to appreciate my culinary skills.

I used to need to aim correctly and time my movements precisely before shoving the spoon into her mouth. I miss quite often, and her food gets onto her cheeks, nose, forehead, into her nostrils and once even stuck on her eyelashes.
These days, she expertly opens her mouth in sync with the advancement of the spoon, sometimes even before I can heap the next scoop. She has also been caught waiting for the spoon with her mouth wide opened.

I used to need to wrestle the spoon out of her mouth as she would bite hard on the spoon and refuse to let go, while both her ten fingers grasp eagerly on the spoon handle. More effective than prying her fingers apart, I resort to sliding the entire spoon through her palm. Not a very clean and hygienic way of using a spoon, but I figured she usually needs a bath (again) after her meal, so what the heck.
Now, she no longer insists on grabbing the spoon and getting her hands grubby. Instead, she plays with the buttons on her walker and only occasionlly attempt to feed herself when she thinks I'm too slow for her liking.

Not that she has mastered table manners, but she has definitely become much easier to feed.

I gave her mashed avocado. Upon tasting, she gave me a strange look. Nonetheless, she swallowed it. She did the same with the second and third mouthful. Only after I mixed the avocado with apple puree did she stop making the funny expression.

Today, she tried homemade whipped potato. (I was told potato cannot be blended as it becomes very starchy. Paying heed to others' experience, I added 3 spoons of EBM to the blender before blending. The result was fantastic. Think KFC whipped potato without the sauce. You got it.) As with every first time food, she paused to taste the flavour. She gave a strange look again with the potato. I tried a second mouth. This time, she showed her approval. She smiled and started to coo.

Another masterpiece. Hehe..

6 Comments:

At 10:18 PM, Blogger Chocklitmom said...

U used fresh EBM or EBM from the fridge and then warm up? I'm thinking of using frozen EBM but it has a funny taste to me...

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger ah per said...

I used relatively fresh EBM, pumped in the morning and kept in the fridge.

I left it in room temp b4 mixing with the potato, din warm it up though.

These days, my morning pump is used to mix cereal, make potato puree and then the remains are frozen for my godson Dexter.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Chocklitmom said...

Hmm...that is a good idea. Although, I have found that mixing BM with cereal makes it watery n Zach doesn't like it. Can try it out for potato puree...sounds yummy!

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger ah per said...

I heard that about BM more than once.

But I don't quite understand.

Won't it resolve the issue juz to add less BM?

HH loves her cereal dry and lumpy. I use about 15ml for 4 rounded teaspoons of cereal.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Chocklitmom said...

The cereal seems to turn watery over time. So it's like, you start out lumpy, then 10 mins later, it becomes very watery. What I do now is to mix a bit of milk, leave out for 10 mins, then serve. Quite a pain when u're rushing.

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger ah per said...

I find stirring a quick way to turn the cereal watery. Maybe u can try.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home